FOR CARE HOME MANAGERS
DENTAL HEALTH IS IMPORTANT
Dental health is important, especially for the elderly. There are well-known links between poor oral health and poor general health. Poor oral hygiene is common in elderly patients who may lack the dexterity to clean their teeth properly or may not remember whether they have cleaned them or not. Many carers have not had proper training in how to assist with toothbrushing.
Sometimes carers assist with the cleaning of a partial denture but fail to realise that the resident still has some of their own teeth remaining which never get cleaned. Many elderly people have worn the same set of dentures for years, while gum shrinkage and weight loss mean that those dentures no longer fit properly.
Badly fitting dentures are uncomfortable and make eating difficult, sometimes leading to further weight loss or the resident refusing to wear their dentures and having to move to a diet of pureed food.
Denture wearers are also as much if not more at risk of oral cancer than those retaining their own teeth but if your residents are not having dental check-ups, this silent killer could go undiagnosed.
In addition, many dentures are lost during hospital stays or simply go astray in the residential care environment and if they are not replaced promptly, the patient may never get used to wearing them again, with knock-on effects on nutrition and ability to enjoy their food.
WHAT ARE YOUR CURRENT PROVISIONS?
Are you able to supply staff and transport to take residents out to a local practice? Do you have to pass the cost of this on to the residents? Do you rely on visiting relatives to take residents to dental appointments?
We can hold regular dental clinics at your home, enabling residents including those with Alzheimers, dementia and mobility problems – to receive regular check-ups and a range of treatments at a much lower cost than individual appointments. If you are looking for a way to ensure equal access to dental care for your residents, this provides a practical and effective solution.
ORAL HEALTH ASSESSMENT FORM
Oral and dental health has often been a low priority for some time before people enter residential care. New residents will each have a care plan but how often does anyone ask “When did you last see a dentist?” Or “How old are your dentures?”
We have produced an Oral Health Assessment Form which you can use to help identify individuals experiencing or at risk of oral and/or dental problems. Please let us know if you would like free copies of this form. We are also able to visit to carry out an oral health screening for your residents – contact us for further details.
Look after your residents’ oral health needs without transport, mobility, staffing or administrative worries. we offer a caring and stress-free experience for residents and oral healthcare training for care staff, helping homes to meet CQC outcomes.
We can arrange one-off appointments and we also offer a Dental Care Plan for residents looking for regular dental care. This costs around £3 per week, a small proportion of the weekly cost of care.
TELL YOUR RESIDENTS ABOUT US
Please tell residents and their families about our service. We are happy to provide you with leaflets and cards to hand out.
BENEFITS FOR CARE HOMES
- Confidence that you are meeting CQC outcomes by enabling residents to access dentistry and oral healthcare
- Evidence you are aware of the impact that poor oral health can have on the general health of your residents
- Opportunity to promote on-site private dental care as part of your service
- Peace of mind that your residents enjoy a caring & stress-free experience
- Evidence that you value and safeguard residents’ privacy, dignity & quality of life
- Eliminate the transport and staffing costs of taking residents out to dental appointments
- Free advice on preventive care and dietary requirements
- Free oral healthcare training for care staff
- Access to training materials and template letters
- A £5 administration fee paid to you for every patient seen and treated by us
BENEFITS FOR RESIDENTS & RELATIVES
- Access to regular dental and oral healthcare helping to maintain general health & well-being
- Screening for Oral Cancer
- Dental treatments offered on site, no need to arrange transport, no mobility issues
- Experienced dental staff, gentle, courteous and caring approach
- Comprehensive treatment plan
- Denture fabrication, adjustment & repairs
- Free oral healthcare aids
- Peace of mind for relatives
- Spread the cost of dental care with our Dental Care Plan